We would love to hear from former members, do get in touch. We have an archive of photographs and memorabilia but would especially welcome items from 1945- 1960 as we have very little from that time.
A summary of the history of the group is given below.
1944- Group founded by Bill & Joan Moore as a breakaway group from the one at St Peter's Church, Bushey Mill Lane. Meetings were held in the Mundens or at various parents homes. Scouts had to have neckerchiefs and due to short supply of fabric they used blackout material and blue braid, depicting their first meeting under clear blue skies during the blackout.
1945- group official registration received from the Scout Association, dated 5th January 1945 as 59th South West Herts. In time, the group hired a hall to meet in at Parkgate School.
1959- Tom & Iris Robinson took over from Bill and Joan Moore.
1961- started the process to find land for an HQ
1963- leased garages at the corner of Balmoral Road for storage, used until 1982
1968- signed the lease for the East Drive site
1971- East Drive HQ officially opened on 12th June 1971 following a procession from Parkgate School
1972- South West Herts District was split into three smaller Districts. All the Groups in the new ‘North Watford’ District were renamed with our Group changing its name from the 59th South West Herts to the 6th North Watford
1976- The Robinsons retired from the Group and took on District roles
1979- start of the building of the HQ extension
1983- In November 1983 it was announced that the Group was to open an experimental new section for boys aged between 6 and 8 years old to be known as 'Beavers'. Our Beavers began their meetings in February 1984 and our Beaver Colony was the first in South West Herts and one of the first in Hertfordshire.
1985- 40th anniversary party at the HQ
1987- introduction of Beaver, Cub and Scout of the year trophies
1994- the first girls joined our Scout troop
1995- suspended floor fitted in the main hall. 50th anniversary party held in a function room at Watford General Hospital.
2004- the first girl joined our Beavers
2005- plaque unveiled in memory of Charlie Gibbins (former president and chair of the group) at the 60th anniversary party held at Lees Wood
2007- HQ entrance ramp installed
2008- replacement of HQ facias, soffits, bargeboards and guttering
2011- remodelled and replaced toilets, adding accessible toilet and new plumbing throughout
2014- new doors and windows for the HQ
2015- 70th anniversary 1940’s themed afternoon tea held at family camp, Lees Wood
2017- purchased the freehold of the HQ
2018- new kitchen, replacement carpet tiles in main hall
2020- resurfaced the entrance way and car park, replaced porch roof. Video conferencing software used for the first time to hold online meetings due to Coronavirus halting face to face Scouting. Group website launched.